Monday, May 17, 2010

Harvest Monday

First, the first Harvest Monday, 400 Grams of assorted lettuce. Add that to the other harvests this week, 686 grams total (24.5 ounces for you non-metric people). Sorry, no picture again, it was blurry :-( Imagine two one gallon zip bags full.

I have been working on getting the hills for the squash/cucumbers/watermelon/cantaloupe done so I can get them planted. They are getting so large. Also pulled one of the beds of cover crop and planted some sweet corn. Noticed this morning that some has spouted, Hurray. Still need to pull the cover crop off the second bed so the tomatoes can be planted.
The future tomato bed

When I was clearing the corn bed I found this. Anyone have an idea what it is?

In the back ground of the first picture is the attempt to make a trellis my the beans. I say attempt because the beans would be to far away from the strings to do any good. I'm going to take it apart and use the uprights as stakes to run strings between.

I'm thinking I will not use "composted" manure straight out of the bag again. It appears to be unfinished, the bean bed seems to have a nitrogen deficiency. The tackweed wouldn't even grow well, turns a sickly yellow color. Put some fish fertilize on the peas and beans and they started to green up and grow.

1 comment:

Annie*s Granny said...

I'll bet that lettuce tasted really good, you had so many pretty varieties. You'd better hurry with planting those tomatoes, I'm going to get way ahead of you ;-)